PUBLIC INTEREST CENTER: (614) 644-2160
MEDIA CONTACT: Linda Fee Oros
CITIZEN CONTACT: Mary McCarron
Ohio EPA to Update State Water Quality Management Plans
Public Hearing Will be Held
Ohio EPA is evaluating updates to water quality management plans prepared by six regional planning agencies and invites the public to comment. The plans describe and promote efficient and comprehensive programs for controlling water pollution in a defined geographic area. They address a variety of water quality issues ranging from sewage treatment to urban and agricultural runoff.
A public hearing will be held in Columbus on Wednesday, May 9, 2012, at 10 a.m., at Ohio EPA headquarters. The hearing is in Conference Room A, 50 West Town Street, Suite 700, Columbus. Written comments also are welcome by May 9.
Plans from the lead planning agencies in the following areas will be updated:
- Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments including Butler, Clermont, Hamilton and Warren counties;
- Eastgate Regional Council of Governments including Mahoning and Trumbull counties;
- Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments including Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky and Wood counties;
- Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission including Darke, Greene, Miami, Montgomery and Preble counties;
- Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency including Cuyahoga,Geauga, Lake Lorain and Medina counties; and
- Northeast Ohio Four County Regional Planning and Development Organization including Portage, Stark, Summit and Wayne counties.
These six areawide councils oversee 24 Ohio counties with large urban populations. Each agency prepares and approves a water quality management plan for its counties. The state certifies that the documents include the required plan elements, and are consistent with each other and also with basin plans. To learn more about what is in each plan, visit http://www.epa.ohio.gov/dsw/mgmtplans/updates_mar12.aspx
Those attending the public hearing should call Ohio EPA’s Public Interest Center at (614) 644-2160 to register if they wish to testify. Those who pre-register will be heard first. Visitors must register at the security desk in Ohio EPA’s lobby, using photo ID. Please arrive early to allow time for this process.
Written comments may be submitted to Elizabeth Bailik, Ohio EPA Division of Surface Water, P.O. Box 1049, Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049, or to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 30 -