What to Bring to the Test

 *Anyone can bring the vehicle in to be tested

Ohio title or registration: If your vehicle has Ohio license plates and is registered in an E-Check county, the lane inspector may ask for the vehicle title, registration or insurance card to help verify VIN number quicker. However, your vehicle can be tested without these items if the vehicle is registered in an E-Check county. If you are moving into an E-Check county, please see the sections below. If you are in the process of purchasing a vehicle and the title is not in your name, a voucher is required to perform the test.

30-day temporary tag: If your vehicle has a 30-day temporary tag, it is helpful to present one of the following documents at the time of the test:

  • Ohio title;
  • Ohio memorandum of title;
  • Ohio lease agreement with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and your Ohio address listed on it; or
  • Ohio temporary registration.

Leased Vehicles: Lease holders must bring the Ohio lease agreement with the VIN and your Ohio address listed on it.

Money: In accordance with House Bill (H.B.) 119, a motorist may receive up to three free tests within a 365-day period. With the fourth test, and all thereafter, the motorist will be charged $18. Only one free passing test is permitted within a 365-day period. Motorists wishing to obtain a duplicate copy of a valid passing test record will need to bring the VIN to the testing station. The stations do not accept credit cards.

Out-of-state residents moving into an Ohio E-Check County: If you are moving into an Ohio E-Check county, one of the following processes must be followed in order to have an emissions test done, which will permit you to register a vehicle in Ohio:

  • The owner of the vehicle must go to the title bureau and request the VIN verification inspection only. The owner will pay $3.50 for the inspection.
    • After the VIN inspection has been completed, the owner will take the vehicle to an E-Check station for testing. The owner will need to present the VIN Inspection Certificate to receive a free test. If the VIN Inspection Certificate is not presented, one of the following must be presented:
      • Ohio title,
      • Ohio memorandum of title,
      • Ohio lease agreement with the VIN your Ohio address listed on it; or
      • Ohio temporary registration
    • After passing the emissions test, the owner of the vehicle should return to the title bureau and obtain an Ohio title. The owner can also obtain the required registration from the registrar.
  • Purchase a voucher for $18 at the station or from Envirotest Systems. After completing the registration process, the motorist will be eligible for a refund. For more information on the voucher process, click here.

Ohio residents moving into an E-Check county must bring one of the following:

*Please note that Ohio residents are only required to test if the current year corresponds with your vehicle's normal testing year. Check here to determine if your vehicle needs a test.

  • A voucher purchased at the station or from Envirotest Systems
    • The voucher must be presented at the time of the test.
    • After your vehicle has passed inspection, you may obtain your new registration and receive a refund for the cost of the inspection. For refund information contact Envirotest Systems Corporation at (330) 963-4464 x1234 or (800) 218-9247 x1234.
  • New temporary registration showing your new address (30-day temporary tag)


Vehicles from outside Ohio: If your vehicle is titled and registered in another state, you must obtain a voucher from Envirotest Systems. The vehicle cannot be tested without a voucher. For voucher information please go to Voucher Information.

No pets: With the exception of service animals in the company of persons with a disability, the test facilities are unable to accommodate animals, including pets. A service animal is defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as "any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability."


If you have unanswered questions at the station, please ask for the station manager.